Thanks to everyone who attended my session at the Perth .NET Community of Practice last night. There were 66 people there which is a great turn out! Here are the slides (insightful as they are :p). You probably really just want the slide towards the end with the resources links on it.
The real content was in the code which a few people asked me for at the pub afterwards. I can't easily put it on github (my public code repo of choice) from work but I'll let you in on a secret. If you aren't explaining it to a room of people you can reproduce what I did in about 10 minutes.
Once you have Visual Studio 2010 SP1 (with the MVC3 Tools Refresh) just go:
- File > New Project > MVC3 Web Application
- Pick internet application, check the HTML box and ensure you have Razor selected as the View Engine
- Open the Package Manager Console (View > Other Windows > Package Manager Console)
Install-Package Elmah.Contrib.Mvc(this package is the one that gives you
/elmah.axd"TIVO for Yellow Screen of Death")
Install-Package Glimpse(this package gives you the firebug looking window at the bottom of the screen with insight into what's happening on the server! turn it on at
Install-Package MvcScaffolding(This package gives you scaffolding from the Package Manager Console)
- Create your model classes (I had
Loan), give them a field called
Id(make it an
Guid) and add any validation attributes as appropriate (the ones I demonstrated were
- Back in the Package Manager Console run the following commands Scaffold Controller Book -Repository Scaffold Controller Loan -Repository
- Hit F5! You're done
There are a few more things that I did and I'll blog about them in the coming weeks (and the above in greater detail) but that's it for now! If you have any questions feel free to shoot them through to email@example.com. Please, if you enjoyed the session last night (or even if you didn't) I'd really appreciate your feedback at http://spkr8.com/t/7412
No new comments are allowed on this post.